PRIVILEGE SPEECH Re Ethics Case
I rise on a matter of privilege to current the reality in regards to the listening to final Thursday. Video. Badgering. Nagalit, nang-insulto. Hearing Suspended.
Some guidelines of parliament and process had been damaged by Senator Gordon. Primarily the appropriate of the minority to be heard;
- Dishonestly insisting that the phrase “comite de absuelto” was made on
- the document; Disregarding the objection of a member;
- Disrespected and insulted a member of the committee. He talked about
- cockpit of chismis insinuating that I used to be simply peddling rumors when clearly, the data got here from his useful resource individuals. He additional insulted me by saying, “wag daw ako nagdadaldal nang hindi ko nalalaman.” If in any respect, the comite de absuelto remarks are however a response to his cockpit of chismis; As in earlier committee hearings, as chairman, he monopolized the movement
- of the continuing by conducting a monologue for hours, thereby, not giving an satisfactory alternative for different senators to ask questions.
Normally, I’m not the whining sort and will have simply let these items move so I may deal with the extra essential points at hand. But within the spirit of justice and equity, on the applicable time, I’d be submitting my very own Ethics case in opposition to Sen. Gordon for his unparliamentary and unethical acts as Senator and Chairman of the Blue Ribbon Committee. I can even expose his corrupt acts as Chairman of the Philippine Red Cross. But I digress. To my protection, let me stress the significance of statements made on document:
- Senate Rules or the Rules of parliament solely cowl phrases stated or actions accomplished whereas a session or listening to is on-going. Conversations made whereas a session or listening to is suspended or adjourned will not be lined. Statements made in personal or within the Senator’s lounge are positively not lined. Statements made in media will not be lined. Let me recall, how then Senator Alan Cayetano known as Former President after which Senator Noynoy Aquino as “abnormal” and the way different senators publicly maligned former Senate President Manny Villar prior and throughout the 2010 elections. I used to be additionally as soon as known as a “mosquito” by the late Senator Joker Arroyo. Lastly, we clearly bear in mind how the late Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago known as loads of Senators or useful resource individuals “fungus-face” or “imbeciles”, but no person dared to name her out. Previous cases cited, the place Senators Pacquiao, Ejercito and Zubiri had been claimed to have been offended, had been attributed to statements made within the media and so they solely felt alluded to. They had been by no means individually named. We are all political figures right here. We are within the enterprise of influencing or
- being influenced by public opinion to forge public coverage or to advertise public curiosity. Our major weapons are phrases. The unwritten rule is, if you happen to can provide it, then it is best to be capable of take it. And since we’re in a Democracy, we could be liberal in our use of phrases to pursue our political three message. But the road dividing what can or can’t be stated or accomplished whereas in parliament and even in media is kind of clear to me. Even on this period of kabastusan at pagmumura underneath the Duterte Administration, for so long as I’m not cursing or utilizing cuss phrases and I’m not bodily hurting anyone, then I’m not crossing that line. I’ve by no means crossed that line.
Now even assuming I stated comite de absuelto whereas the listening to was ongoing, the phrases lawyering and comite de absuelto will not be offensive language by any normal. My normal for offensive language is that this, if I say a phrase or phrase to an individual and that individual would immediately slap or punch or get mad at me, then that’s clearly an offensive phrase or phrase. Like the “F” phrase or Duterte’s favourite PI for instance. But the time period lawyering may both imply a noble career or a means of defending somebody, it’s by no means an intrinsically offensive or dangerous phrase. It might have bruised the ego of Senator Gordon however saying that phrase, regardless of the way you spin it, shouldn’t be unparliamentary. As to the time period “comite de absuelto”, simply attempt telling that to 1000 individuals and see in the event that they’d be immediately offended by it. I’d even be stunned if they’d react in any respect. Precisely as a result of it isn’t an offensive language per se.
Let me cite an instance to spotlight the distinction between being offended and offensive language. During a heated debate, then Senator Enrile stated to then Senator Alan Cayetano, “Eh, yung kahoy na pinapagawa ng bahay niyo, san galing yun?” Talagang nakaka-offend yun, talagang masakit yung pagkasumbat na yun, but not a single phrase utilized in that sentence is offensive language. Still, then Senator Cayetano simply sucked all of it up as a result of he is aware of then Senator four Enrile already misplaced the controversy when Enrile resorted to advert hominem assaults. No ethics case.
Let me now carry up the controversial “na-ano ka lang” remarks of the Majority Leader which had been made throughout the listening to of the Commission on Appointments addressed to then Sec. Judy Taguiwalo. I recall the outrage of the assorted ladies’s teams then. But when requested, as a member of the ethics committee, to remark a couple of attainable ethics case, I stated that whereas it was unlucky that Senator Sotto’s remarks offended loads of ladies, “na-ano ka lang” per se shouldn’t be offensive language which is the one prohibited within the Senate Rules. Iniisip ko at the moment, i-eexpel o isususpend ko ang isang senador dahil lang dun? Hindi ko minamaliit yung pagka-offend ng mga kababaihan, pero mas mabigat sakin yung mandato ng taong bayan na naghalal sa kanya. Kahit censure or reprimand, hindi ko magawa kasi maliwanag nga sa guidelines, bukod pa run, nakakita na ako ng mas maaanghang pang palitan ng salita at napalagpas naman. Ngayon, “lawyering at comite de absuelto” lang na si Sen. Gordon lang ang na-offend, ipapa-expel, ipapasuspend and even ire-reprimand ako? Parang hindi yata tama yun.
The Rules had been designed to set an ordinary that might be utilized to everybody with no ambiguity whereby offensive language shouldn’t be relative to the sensitivity or emotions of every particular person senator. Hindi ito challenge ng majority or minority. Para sa lahat ito kasi the precedent you set now might be utilized to you pag nasa minority ka na at pwede ka rin pagkaisahan. Sana wag ganun.
At any fee, I absolutely belief the knowledge and judgment of my colleagues. Kilala nila ako.
Alam ng mga kasamahan natin dito, na passionate lang ako or emotionally clear ako sa mga points na malapit sa aking puso. Gaya niyo, meron din akong ipinaglalaban. Maaaring minsan magkakatunggali tayo sa mga points pero alam niyo na sa labas ng pulitika, hindi ako masamang tao at wala akong masamang hangarin. Maaaring mabigat ako na kaaway ng mga tiwali, pero alam niyo na tunay ako makipagkaibigan, maayos at direcho ako na kausap, at tapat ako na kaalyado na handang makipaglaban para sa inyo. Kilala ko rin ang mga pinagkakautangan ko ng loob at tinatanaw ko yan hanggang nasa tama. Alam niyo rin na hindi ako marunong mambully, marunong lang akong tumayo laban sa mga bully paminsan-minsan. Lastly, maaaring magkakahiwalay man tayo ng pananaw sa pulitika ngayon pero malay niyo, sa malapit na hinaharap, baka magkakasama rin tayo.
At this level, I might be stepping down as a member of the Ethics Committee in order to not affect the case in opposition to me. At the correct time, the Minority chief would designate my alternative.
READ: Gordon’s ethics grievance vs Trillanes