Smokers’ havens simply received smaller after President Rodrigo Duterte signed an govt order banning smoking nationwide.
Executive Order No. 26, titled “Providing for the Establishment of Smoke-free Environments in Public and Enclosed Spaces,” was signed on May 16 however a duplicate was solely launched to the media on May 18.
Under the EO, the next acts are banned:
• Smoking inside enclosed public locations and public conveyances, whether or not stationary or in movement, besides in designated smoking areas (DSAs)
• Allowing, abetting, or tolerating smoking in prohibited areas
• Smoking, promoting, or shopping for tobacco merchandise by minors
• Selling, distributing, or buying tobacco merchandise whereas utilizing the protection that one didn’t know the actual age of a minor or didn’t know nor had any cause to imagine that the product could be consumed by a minor
• Ordering, instructing, or compelling a minor to make use of, mild up, purchase, promote, distribute, ship, promote, or promote tobacco merchandise
• Selling or distributing tobacco merchandise in a faculty, public playground, youth hostels, and leisure services for minors, together with these frequented by minors, or inside 100 meters from any level of the perimeter of those locations
• Placing, posting, displaying, or distributing commercial and promotional supplies of tobacco merchandise, comparable to however not restricted to leaflets, posters, show buildings, and different supplies inside 10 meters from the perimeter of a faculty, public playground, and different services frequented notably by minors, hostel, and leisure services for minors, together with these frequented by them, or in an institution when its location is prohibited from promoting tobacco merchandise
• Placing any type of tobacco commercial exterior of the premises of point-of-sale retail institutions
• Placing any stall, sales space, and different shows regarding tobacco promotions to areas exterior the premises of point-of-sale places or adult-only services
The EO was patterned after an anti-smoking ordinance that Duterte signed when he was mayor in Davao City.
Violators can be meted out the punishments offered for in Republic Act 9211 or the Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003.
EO No. 26 will turn into efficient 60 days after it’s printed in a newspaper of basic circulation.